In 1970, Mr. M. Bing Wu and others found the Institute of Chinese Culture (ICC) with the mission to teach Chinese language and culture to Asian American children to understand their Chinese heritage. He was the first principal of ICC Chinese School. The M. Bing Wu Memorial Scholarship fund was established by family members of Mr. Wu to award student of ICC Chinese School with demonstrated excellence in academics, leadership and community services, and Chinese language and culture.
In 2018, the Institute of Chinese Culture/M. Bing Wu Memorial Scholarship program will award not more than two $500.00 scholarships to high school seniors of Chinese descent who reside in the Greater Houston areas, who has attended Chinese language class at the ICC for 6 or more years including this year and the year before, and who
have demonstrated academic excellence and leadership.
To qualify, an applicant must be:
1. A student of Chinese descent who is a Houston resident and is currently enrolled in an accredited high school with plans to graduate in the May, 2018, AND,
2. The student is taking or have taken Chinese language class(es) for at least two years at the Institute of Chinese Culture
For this application, a Chinese descent is defined, as one who has at least one Chinese grandparent.
The application form and all supporting documents should be sent to the Scholarship Committee:
M. Bing Wu Memorial Scholarship Committee
The Institute of Chinese Culture
P.O. Box 420389
Houston, TX 77042-0389
The application form must be postmarked on or before March 31, 2018.
The applicant must submit all of the following:
1. A completed application form (attached).
2. An official high school transcript.
3. An essay at least 300 but not over 500 words hand written in Chinese on your experience with Chinese culture or classes and how it benefit you.
4. A letter from principal regarding your GPA, leadership etc.
The awards will be determined according to the following criteria:
Hand written Chinese Essay 30
The Scholarship Committee may inform students for the interviewing, and will notify the winners of the awards in early May, 2018. Awards will be presented at The Institute of Chinese Culture, 10550 Westoffice Drive, Houston, Texas at the School year end Award Ceremony in May 12, 2018.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the scholarship Committee:
• ICC Board representative: Kit Sing Au
• PTO representative: TBA
• ICC Chinese School Principal: Ken-Shiung Chen